Vic plumber yells ‘run’ as semi hits ambos

A Melbourne plumber screamed “run”, sending people diving for safety as a semi-trailer ploughed into an ambulance and a police car on a Melbourne freeway.

长沙夜网

The truck collected the parked ambulance, a police car and a car that had already crashed into a guard rail on a freeway interchange ramp in Dandenong North on Monday morning, police say.

Plumber Arthur Tsiligiannis, who’d stopped to help the car that hit the guard rail, screamed out as the truck approached.

“It was just one of those out-of-the-ordinary experiences that was just like watching a movie, and came out of nowhere,” Mr Tsiligiannis told AAP on Monday.

“Everyone took a bit of a tumble to be honest. We all scattered and jumped in every direction trying to avoid contact with the truck.”

He said there was no time to think and everyone at the scene just ran where they could to avoid the truck, most of them jumping a barricade and rolling down an embankment.

The truck driver, the car driver and Mr Tsiligiannis were all taken to a local hospital with minor injuries, Ambulance Victoria says.

“I’m a bit battered and bruised but I’m okay,” Mr Tsiligiannis said.

Ambulance union assistant secretary Danny Hill said he understood it could have been much worse if Mr Tsiligiannis hadn’t alerted everyone to the approaching truck.

The ambulance was towed from the scene with significant damage to its rear.

Mr Hill said the crash was a “perfect example” of why it’s important that drivers go slow around crash scenes.

His union, the Ambulance Employees Australia Victoria, and others have campaigned for 40km/h speed limits around emergency services vehicles.

“There is a major risk to emergency services, bystanders and injured patients when other vehicles are approaching so fast … and they’re very dynamic scenes,” he said.

Depression common in image abuse victims

Victims of image-based abuse – including revenge porn – report high levels of depression and fear for their own safety, a survey of young Australians has found.

长沙夜网

More than one in five young Australians have experienced some form of image-based abuse, with victims twice as likely as non-victims to report psychological distress.

A nationwide online survey of almost 4300 Australians aged 16 to 49 found image-based abuse was far more common and affected a wider range of people than previously thought.

Men were just as likely as women to be victims of image-based abuse while minority groups were especially vulnerable.

One in two indigenous Australians and 56 per cent of disabled people reported abuse.

The majority of those experiencing “sextortion” – threats to share images – reported high levels of psychological distress, consistent with moderate to severe depression. Almost half feared for their safety.

“Image-based abuse has emerged so rapidly as an issue that inevitably our laws and policies are struggling to catch up,” RMIT University’s Dr Nicola Henry said.

The researchers from RMIT and Monash universities recommended a range of reforms including making image-based abuse a crime under federal law and better support services for victims.

A dedicated helpline in the UK, set up two years ago, provides free and confidential legal advice and support via phone and email.

“We need to rethink our approach both from a legal perspective but also as a community, to change attitudes that often blame the victims and play down the very real harm caused by image-based abuse,” RMIT’s Dr Anastasia Powell said.

Australian eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said her office is building a national complaints portal for this kind of abuse.

“But victims can come to the eSafety office now,” she told ABC.

“Since October, we’ve had 300 reports of image-based abuse and we will provide support in any way we can.”

Victims can seek support at esafety.gov长沙夜网,

The researchers will present their findings at a free public lecture at RMIT University on Friday evening.

Docker Taberner rewarded for hard yards

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon admits he may have erred in persisting with an undersized forward line earlier this year, but he’s glad spearhead Matt Taberner was made to win back his spot the hard way.

长沙夜网

Taberner showcased his potential with four goals, seven contested marks, and 18 possessions in Sunday’s 37-point win over Essendon.

It was the 23-year-old’s first game of the season after he was squeezed out of the best 22 following the arrivals of Shane Kersten and Cam McCarthy over the summer.

Lyon initially thought his team would be too top-heavy by playing all three key forwards.

But the trio worked well together in the win over Essendon, booting eight goals between them.

At 199cm, Taberner is the tallest of the lot, with McCarthy (192cm) and Kersten (191cm) the next tallest up forward.

Taberner had already played 45 AFL matches leading up to this year, but Lyon admitted they weren’t all on merit.

Rather, Fremantle’s lack of forward options in previous years forced Lyon to play Taberner well before his time, with Taberner often struggling to make an impact in matches.

Taberner had booted just 41 goals leading into Sunday’s match, but his four-goal haul against the Bombers was arguably the finest performance of his fledgling career.

After the round-six derby loss to West Coast, Lyon said he didn’t think a lack of height in his forward line was an issue.

But he was rethinking that statement after Taberner’s strong marking display, which also helped ease the pressure on McCarthy and Kersten.

“Maybe I was wrong. It certainly helped,” Lyon said of Taberner’s inclusion.

“I think they looked dangerous all day. I think he helped the other two and that was the aim.”

Lyon said Taberner would face a huge challenge when he confronts All-Australian defender Alex Rance in Sunday’s clash with Richmond at the MCG.

And he said Taberner’s omission from the best 22 over the first six rounds had been crucial in the spearhead’s development.

“To Matthew’s credit he has worked really hard off the rookie list, but sometimes you get an opportunities when maybe you shouldn’t be playing,” Lyon said.

“That can give you a false sense of where you are at, and probably not as sharp a keenness subconsciously to work on the things you need to.”

Taberner offered Aaron Sandilands relief in the ruck on Sunday, and he’s set to play a similar role when he lines up against Richmond.

The Dockers were being talked up as wooden spoon contenders after opening their season with two big losses.

They now sit in ninth spot with a 4-3 record – not that Lyon is getting carried away.

“Look, from the lowest point in the club’s history it’s probably not a bad position to get to,” Lyon said.

Fitzgibbon blast NRL over scheduling

Country coach Craig Fitzgibbon fired one last parting shot at the NRL over their handling of the axed fixture on Sunday.

长沙夜网

City claimed the final honours in the not-to-be continued concept, ending 90 years of rivalry between the bush and the big smoke, including the last 30 in an Origin format.

However they did so after more than 50 players became unavailable for selection earlier in the week, after Canterbury coach Des Hasler barred the majority of his players from selection ahead of fears of a four-day turnaround.

And Fitzgibbon laid the blame for the farce squarely on the NRL after the Mudgee match.

“It happened last year on a four-day turnaround – half our team had to have it,” Fitzgibbon said.

“To do it again the year after, I don’t understand it.

“The pressure on the clubs was unfair. They’ve got a job to do as well.

“Just don’t put a game on four days later.”

Last season both St George Illawarra and Canberra were forced to play just four days after the fixture in Tamworth.

Players from both teams were rushed out of the venue on a Sunday night flight in that instance, but reported finding the following game more difficult than most, even with monitored and limited training programs.

Fitzgibbon – along with a number of former City and Country players – has emphasised the importance of the annual fixture throughout the week not only for the bush but for the development of his own players before they return to the NRL.

“Both teams had nine debutants tonight,” he said.

“So to be able to provide an opportunity for nine players on each side to be able to make their debut at a rep level and the standards – that was a damn hard game for everyone involved.”

He, along with City coach Brad Fittler, also emphasised the importance of the league finding a way to replace the regional fixture in coming years.

At this stage, only Penrith have a deal with a country NSW town to continue bringing games to the bush, which will see them playing in Bathurst until at least the end of 2028.

“I just hope they provide other access,” Fitzgibbon said.

“Whether it’s NRL teams coming out this way or get rebooted in another way I’m not sure.”

Macron wins French vote to Europe’s relief

Emmanuel Macron has been elected French president with a business-friendly vision of European integration, defeating Marine Le Pen, a far-right nationalist who threatened to take France out of the European Union.

长沙夜网

The centrist’s emphatic victory, which also smashed the dominance of France’s mainstream parties, will bring huge relief to European allies who had feared another populist upheaval to follow Britain’s vote to quit the EU and Donald Trump’s election as US president.

The euro currency, hit a six-month high against the dollar while Asian shares gained and US stocks briefly touched a record high.

With virtually all votes counted, Macron had topped 66 per cent against just under 34 per cent for Le Pen – a gap wider than the 20 or so percentage points that pre-election surveys had suggested.

Even so, it was a record performance for the National Front, a party whose anti-immigrant policies once made it a pariah, and underlined the scale of the divisions that Macron must now try to heal.

After winning the first round two weeks ago, Macron had been accused of behaving as if he was already president. On Sunday night, with victory finally sealed, he was much more solemn.

“I know the divisions in our nation, which have led some to vote for the extremes. I respect them,” Macron said in an address at his campaign headquarters, shown live on television.

“I know the anger, the anxiety, the doubts that very many of you have also expressed. It’s my responsibility to hear them,” he said.

“I will work to recreate the link between Europe and its peoples, between Europe and citizens.”

Later he strode alone almost grimly through the courtyard of the Louvre Palace in central Paris to the strains of the EU anthem, Beethoven’s Ode to Joy, not breaking into a smile until he mounted the stage of his victory rally to the cheers of his partying supporters.

His immediate challenge will be to secure a majority in next month’s parliamentary election for a political movement that is barely a year old, rebranded as La Republique En Marche (“Onward the Republic”), in order to implement his program.

Outgoing president Francois Hollande, who brought Macron into politics, said the result “confirms that a very large majority of our fellow citizens wanted to unite around the values of the Republic and show their attachment to the European Union”.

Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, told Macron: “I am delighted that the ideas you defended of a strong and progressive Europe, which protects all its citizens, will be those that you will carry into your presidency.”

Macron spoke by phone with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, with whom he hopes to revitalise the Franco-German axis at the heart of the EU, saying he planned to visit Berlin shortly.

Trump tweeted his congratulations on Macron’s “big win”, saying he looked forward to working with him. Chinese President Xi Jinping said China was willing to help push Sino-French ties to a higher level, according to state news agency Xinhua.

Macron will become France’s youngest leader since Napoleon. A 39-year-old former investment banker, he served for two years as economy minister under Hollande but has never previously held elected office.

Le Pen, 48, said she had also offered her congratulations. But she defiantly claimed the mantle of France’s main opposition in calling on “all patriots to join us” in constituting a “new political force”.

Her tally was almost double the score that her father Jean-Marie, the last far-right candidate to make the presidential runoff, achieved in 2002, when he was trounced by the conservative Jacques Chirac.

Her high-spending, anti-globalisation “France-first” policies may have unnerved financial markets but they appealed to many poorer members of society against a background of high unemployment, social tensions and security concerns.

Despite having served briefly in Hollande’s deeply unpopular Socialist government, Macron managed to portray himself as the man to revive France’s fortunes by recasting a political landscape moulded by the left-right divisions of the past century.

Macron was due to attend a ceremony marking the Western allies’ World War Two victory in Europe on Monday. The ceremony in Paris marks the 72nd anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in 1945.

Macron’s team successfully skirted several attempts to derail his campaign – by hacking its communications and distributing purportedly leaked documents – that were reminiscent of the hacking of Democratic Party communications during Hillary Clinton’s US election campaign.

Allegations by Macron’s camp that a massive computer hack had compromised emails added last-minute drama on Friday night, just as official campaigning was ending.

While Macron sees France’s way forward in boosting the competitiveness of an open economy, Le Pen wanted to shield French workers by closing borders, quitting the EU’s common currency, the euro, radically loosening the bloc and scrapping trade deals.

Macron will become the eighth – and youngest – president of France’s Fifth Republic when he moves into the Elysee Palace after his inauguration next weekend.